How important is tv to the music industry ?
How might you go about answering an essay question like the above ?
Look for the formula- Point Example Explanation (PEE)
here are about 20 points you might make (in a random order!) You need to think of examples for each and then explanations to make clear their relevance. Structuring them into some kind of argument would be the third step to making this into an essay answer...
- Image construction is vital to the music industry
- TV adverts are used to sell albums
- Chart shows are essential for the promotion of singles
- Chat show appearances are often used to promote albums
- The number of audition/reality shows on TV is testament to their huge importance
- Documentary coverage of artists is frequently tied in with the release of new audio product
- News coverage of bands/ solo artists is useful to their progress
- The number of music channels to be filled with music videos represents a big area for the music business
- Artists often appear on panel shows
- Variety programmes for niche and mass audiences are used to showcase bands and their latest releases
- Live concerts and festivals represent another opportunity for bands on TV to reach a wider audience
- record companies sometimes release DVDs, particularly of tours, which end up being shown on TV
- A flagging career can sometimes be revived by an appearance on a reality Tv show
- tracks can sometimes gain in popularity by being used as incidental music, trailer music on adverts, sports coverage or even soaps
- Soap stars often release singles and start a pop career
- use your wider knowledge
- use examplkes from class- past and present!
- use examples from your youtube and other research into a specific artist
- use examples from the music video unit